How to update your location on LinkedIn
The LinkedIn universe is growing and evolving every day, so it pays to keep up with the latest updates to the platform. One of the most recent changes affects the location settings, read on to find out more….
Some of you may have noticed that your precise location has changed on LinkedIn. Don’t worry, you haven’t altered a setting by mistake, it’s just another tweak which they haven’t told you about.
For many users, location doesn’t really make much difference to them, their business or their customers. However, location is vital for local services such as dog groomers or drainage experts, so it needs to be right.
Either way, it’s important to know how to change your LinkedIn location so that you can attract potential clients close to home.
Why has LinkedIn updated its locations?
According to LinkedIn, it has improved its location data to provide users with a “more personalised experience”. LinkedIn says: “Members with a precise location are more likely to see relevant job opportunities, hear about nearby events, and to be discovered by recruiters and people they may know.”
By default, the location on your profile will be suggested based on the postal code you entered when you last submitted your profile details. If you are not happy with your location, you have the option to change it manually.
How to change your LinkedIn location
Fortunately, it’s quite simple to change your location on your LinkedIn profile, just follow these simple steps:
- Go to your LinkedIn home page and click on ‘Me’ in the top menu.
- In the dropdown menu, click on ‘View profile’.
- When your profile page appears, select the pencil icon on the right-hand side under your cover image (the top pencil icon will change the image).
- This should open the ‘Edit intro’ window. Go down to the location fields and add your Country/Region. For example: United Kingdom. This is the only mandatory location field required by LinkedIn, so you could save and exit.
- For a more precise location, you can add your business postcode. LinkedIn will then suggest locations in that area. If you have previously added your location information you may have a notification saying “We’re updating our location data. New suggested location…”.
- When you are happy with the information displayed, click ‘Save’ to update your profile.
The process below is based on a laptop/desktop PC, but the steps are similar for mobile devices once you have opened your profile page.
Hopefully, you now have a location you are happy with so your customers can find you easily.
Need more help?
Here at Funnelin, we combine clever software and social media expertise to offer a fully outsourced prospecting service on the LinkedIn platform.
If you want more leads from LinkedIn, contact us for a FREE consultation
Read our other blogs: